Cats visit their litter box several times a day. While many cats prefer to use a standard litter box, other cats enjoy using a covered litter box because they have all the privacy they need. Whatever your cat’s preferences are, it’s important that you choose the best setup for your kitty.
35% Off at Chewy.com
+ Free Shipping
How To Redeem This Offer
In this article, we brought together our expertise and testimonials from other cat parents to offer you 8 exceptional covered cat litter box recommendations. We dive into the benefits of using an enclosed litter box as well as features you’ll want to consider when choosing which box is best for your furry friend.
Let’s dig in!
What Is The Best Covered Cat Box?
- Nature’s Miracle Just For Cats Advanced Hooded Corner Cat Litter Box
- Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Pan
- Frisco Flip Top Hooded Cat Litter Box
- Van Ness Enclosed Cat Litter Pan
- Booda Dome Cleanstep Litter Box
- Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Planter
- Frisco Flip Top Hooded Corner Cat Litter Box
5 Benefits of Using a Covered Cat Litter Box
Cat parents love the concept of using a covered cat litter box because it helps keep litter and waste inside the box. Luckily there are some other notable benefits of using an enclosed cat litter box:
- Keeps other animals out of the box: If your cats share a home with dogs (or other household pets), you may find that your canine companions enjoy visiting the litter box for a snack. Using a covered litter box will dissuade dogs and other animals from getting into the litter and eating your cat’s waste.
- Give your cat privacy and security: Some kitties will be most comfortable making a pit stop at their litter box if they have the privacy they desire. A covered litter box offers ultimate security for your kitty, assuming that’s what they prefer.
- Outstanding odor control: An enclosed litter box will help keep odors contained inside the box so your house doesn’t smell like one giant litter box. Make sure you are still scooping daily, however, as cats don’t like a stinky litter box either!
- Contain messes inside the litter box: If you have a cat who kicks litter outside the box or sprays when they urinate, a cover will keep messes inside the box instead of on your floors or walls.
- Hides unsightly litter contents: No one enjoys walking past a litter box to see it filled with feces. Of course you should be scooping the litter box regularly, but a cover will hide the sight of waste in the meantime.
Do cats prefer a covered litter box?
The best answer to this question is – maybe. Cats have preferences when it comes to their potty routine, and it’s important to make note of them when choosing a litter box for your cat. Many cats will love the concept of an enclosed litter box, as they offer a sense of security. The privacy is superior to that of a traditional litter box. However, there are cats that prefer an open litter box because they can see incoming threats. If you find that your cat stops using the litter box, you can simply switch it out for a different style box.
Read Also: 6 Best Automatic Cat Litter Boxes With Our 2023 Budget-Friendly Pick
Read Also: 6 Best Automatic Cat Litter Boxes With Our 2023 Budget-Friendly Pick
5 Components to Look for in a Covered Cat Litter Box
Not all covered cat litter boxes are created equal. There are actually several components you’ll want to consider when deciding which enclosed litter box will be best for your feline friend:
- Size: If you have a large breed cat or a kitty who needs a considerable amount of litter box space to feel comfortable, you will want to buy a big covered litter box. Large cats will generally need box with a 20” length at the very least.
- Shape: While there are plenty of rectangular enclosed litter boxes to choose from, there are also space-saving designs to consider. Corner litter boxes are ideal for small spaces like bathrooms or studio apartments.
- Odor control filter: Since covered litter boxes keep odors contained, they come equipped with odor control filters. Filters can be made of different materials, and replacements come at an additional cost. You may want to look more specifically into the type of filter the enclosed litter box uses if you have a certain budget in mind.
- Additional privacy door flap: Many covered cat litter boxes are built with a privacy door flap. There are boxes that don’t have a flap at all, while others have a removable option.
- Self-cleaning: If you work long days, travel a lot or just despise cleaning the litter box, you may want to look into purchasing a self-cleaning enclosed litter box. While they can be a hefty investment, automatic litter boxes save a lot of time and energy.
Overall Best Litter Box with Cover in 2023
|Our 2023 Picks: Best Covered Cat Litter Box|
|Nature’s Miracle Just For Cats Advanced Hooded Corner Cat Litter Box||CHECK PRICE|
|Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Pan||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Flip Top Hooded Cat Litter Box||CHECK PRICE|
|Van Ness Enclosed Cat Litter Pan||CHECK PRICE|
|Booda Dome Cleanstep Litter Box||CHECK PRICE|
|Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Planter||CHECK PRICE|
| Frisco Flip Top Hooded Corner Cat Litter Box||CHECK PRICE|
Nature’s Miracle Just For Cats Advanced Hooded Corner Cat Litter Box
- Space saving corner design
- Non-stick antimicrobial surface
- Replaceable charcoal filter to help eliminate odors
- Built in pour spout for easily changing litter
Overall Best Covered Cat Litter Box – This covered cat litter box comes from a long line of trusted Nature’s Miracle products for pet parents. The innovative corner design will look great in any home, and it’s fantastic for small spaces. The Nature’s Miracle hooded corner litter box is unique because the bottom surface is covered with an anti-stick layer. This means that litter won’t become stuck to the box, forcing the need for scraping. There is also an antimicrobial layer to prevent the growth of bacteria.
Other helpful features on this covered litter box include a replaceable charcoal filter which helps eliminate odors. The filter will last up to 3 months. The litter box is also built with a convenient pour spout to make replacing cat litter easier than ever. The odor blocking technology of this hooded litter box along with special features and a space-saving design make this our top pick.
- Non-stick bottom surface to eliminate the need to scrape
- Built in spout for easily changing litter
- Innovative corner design to save space
- Antimicrobial surface to prevent growth of bacteria
- Charcoal filter for premium odor control
- Some cat parents reported urine leaking between the hood and bottom piece if their cats tend to spray.
Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Pan
- Equipped with anchors to keep litter bag in place
- Disposable carbon filter to control odor
- Built with a removable plastic door for additional privacy
- Jumbo size is suitable for all cats
Runner-Up Best Covered Cat Litter Box – This jumbo covered cat litter box is an excellent solution for large kitties or multi-cat households. The size can accommodate any cat who appreciates some extra privacy when visiting their litter box. The Catit covered cat litter box even comes equipped with a removable door flap that offers additional security.
This large hooded cat litter box is built with a variety of features that cat parents will enjoy. One is litter pan liner anchors, which keep the bag and litter in place. It also have a disposable carbon filter to help control unpleasant odors. The hood has a convenient handle to make moving and cleaning the box a bit easier. The Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Pan is available in two attractive color combinations.
- Anchors keep litter pan bags in place
- Removable plastic door for additional privacy
- Hood is equipped with a handle for easy moving or cleaning
- Large size can accommodate any cat
- Replaceable carbon filter assists with odor control
- This covered cat litter box is bulky, so it will require a fair amount of space.
Frisco Flip Top Hooded Cat Litter Box
- Made of BPA-free, recyclable plastic
- Charcoal filter to combat litter box odors
- Hood is equipped with a convenient lifting handles
Best Budget-Friendly Covered Cat Litter Box – If you have a large feline crew and need several litter boxes, this Frisco hooded cat litter box is the perfect choice! It’s an affordable option, even if you need to purchase more than one box. This covered litter box is made of durable BPA-free, recyclable plastic. It comes equipped with a privacy flap which can be removed if your cat prefers an open entrance.
Like other covered cat litter boxes, this one from Frisco comes with a replaceable carbon filter for additional odor control. The hood also has a built in handle so you can conveniently move the box or lift the hood off for cleaning. This covered cat litter box will be best for kittens to medium size cats. The bottom pan is shallower than some of our other choices, which is an important factor to keep in mind for your kitty.
- Budget-friendly for homes that need more than one litter box
- Built from durable, BPA-free plastic
- Replaceable carbon filter
- Lifting handle on the hood for easy cleaning and moving of the box
- Removable front door panel
- The covered litter box may not appropriately accommodate large breed cats
4 More Top Covered Cat Litter Boxes
Van Ness Enclosed Cat Litter Pan
The Van Ness covered cat litter box is another fantastic affordable option for your fancy feline friend. It’s constructed in the USA with a removable door flap and latches to keep pan liners in place. The extra-large size is suitable for big kitties who need lots of space to do their business. The Van Ness enclosed cat litter box is built with a zeolite air filter system to effectively absorb foul odors. We like that this cat litter box has a stain and odor resistant finish which make it easy to clean and maintain.
Booda Dome Cleanstep Litter Box
The Booda Dome covered cat litter box offers a large, unique design that gives your kitty plenty of space to conduct their business. The hooded structure is 50% larger than traditional litter boxes, making this box a premium choice for large cats. Like other covered cat litter boxes, this one comes with a built in handle and large filter to reduce unpleasant odors. We love that the Booda Dome covered litter box has a textured ramp that reduces tracking when your cat leaves the box. This litter box is available in a variety of attractive pearlescent colors.
Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Planter
For cat parents who are interested in an inconspicuous cat litter box that will add a bit of flare to your home, we highly suggest considering this hidden cat litter planter. This covered cat litter box looks like a house plant but it’s a fully functional litter box! It has a large opening for your kitty to step in and out, and it’s equipped with a vent system. The vent is cleverly disguised under the fake plant moss. This covered litter box can fit large cats, and it will be great for multi-cat homes.
Frisco Flip Top Hooded Corner Cat Litter Box
This Frisco hooded cat litter box combines function and affordability. The corner design is exceptional for smaller spaces, but the interior space for your cat is not compromised. This covered cat litter box has a privacy flap which can be removed if your cat prefers. A charcoal filter helps with odor elimination, and can easily be replaced. This cat litter box comes at a great price that all cat parents will appreciate.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How many litter boxes do I need for multiple cats? The general rule of thumb is to have one litter box per cat. This way there is always an open litter box for your kitty to use. It also eliminates the chance that your cats will become territorial over the boxes. You may also want to place litter boxes throughout your home if you have a large feline family. Doing so offers all of your cats a choice of where and when they use the litter box.
- What should I do if my cat is not using their litter box? When a cat stops using their litter box, it’s typically indicative of a health issue. Improper elimination can also be the cause of stress or anxiety. We suggest taking your cat to the vet to have health and behavioral concerns ruled out. Keeping your cat’s litter box clean will encourage them to use the box. You may also want to try changing the location of the litter box or buying a different style.
- How often should I clean my cat’s litter box? Ideally you should scoop your cat’s litter box once a day at the very least, or twice if you have multiple cats. Litter should be replaced and the box thoroughly cleaned at least once every two weeks or so.
The litter box you choose for your home should first and foremost depend on your cat’s preferences. Remember to always buy a litter box that will give your cat enough space to move and turn around in. If your cat starts urinating outside the litter box, seek veterinary attention to rule out any health issues.